National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN)
The CMS ESRD QIP NHSN reporting measure only applies to facilities that treat hemodialysis patients in-center. For purposes of the NHSN Dialysis Event reporting measure, twelve months of data has to be reported in NHSN. At least one staff member at each facility must be trained in and knowledgeable of how to report dialysis event data to NHSN. At least one facility staff member (recommendation is two) should have access to NHSN, and follow these steps:
- Complete required training
- Complete all enrollment steps
- Enroll in NHSN individually (i.e, each dialysis facility reporting needs a unique NHSN organization identification number)
- Enroll in NHSN as an 'AMB-HMO-Hemodialysis Center' facility type
- Input a correct CMS Certification Number (CCN) into NHSN
- Report data following the NHSN protocol
- Complete data quality checks by reviewing NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Data
- Run CMS ESRD QIP Rule Report in NHSN to make sure all data is submitted according to CMS requirements
Health Care Personnel Safety Components (HPS)
- Finalized PY 2018 Reporting Measure: NHSN Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination
- HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary Reporting Dialysis Training Slides
- HCP Reporting Slides
- Healthcare Personnel Safety Reporting Plan Form
- How to Activate the NHSN HPS Component
- HPS Component Protocol
- Influenza Vaccination Summary Form from Module
NHSN Contact Information:
- If you are still attempting to log in to NHSN and do not have access, please contact either the PHIN Tech or SAMS help desk.
- If you are using a digital certificate to log in to NHSN, please contact PHIN Tech: 1-800-532-9929, email@example.com
- If you are using a SAMS grid card to access NHSN, please contact SAMS: 877-681-2901, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also contact email@example.com for more information.
Useful NHSN Links and Resources: